Famous Fights always had a small section of responses to readers' questions, see above. Readers would mail in a question and the paper would answer after consulting their huge library. I wonder if readers of this site would actually be able to answer some queries that other readers and myself have... 1. The Castle Tavern
1. The Castle Tavern, Holborn, London. The Castle Tavern is mentioned throughout all of the old boxing books, but where is it? From the description in Famous Fights we learn that it is near to Chancery Lane tube station. Does anyone know its address, or has it perhaps been renamed as Cittie of Yorke?
2. Jemmy Robinson. I can't find anything on Robinson other than what's been covered already on this site. Can you give his year of birth or other information on him?
3. Jack Johnson. Although Johnson would only have been an up and coming challenger when Famous Fights was published, he was a name to be reckoned with. I can't find any mentions of Johnson in my collection (I have about 125 issues of the 156 published) - have you found anything?
4. Corbett-Fitzsimmons. Corbett-Fitz was covered by the paper, but it is an issue I am lacking. I dread to think how biased the writer would be in the match-up, and the glee with which the final blow would be dealt. Do you have this issue, and would you be prepared to write a brief synopsis for this site?
5. Police Budget. The Police Budget was a newspaper at the turn of the last century. I have seen Police Gazette, Police News and other crime and sporting papers, but I've never seen a Police Budget. If you have a copy I'd be very grateful to hear from you; does it have large pages, how much crime, sport and gossip, and how many pages?
If you can help, you're very welcome to post a reply below. You can leave an anonymous message if you prefer, or you can email me at email@example.com. Thanks guys.